Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

 Study-related questions

As an exchange student, where can I find the course catalogue and how do the application procedure is organised?
Find more information here:

Am I eligible for full time studies at LBTU?
It depends on your previous education, acquired grades as well as your English level. Basically, if you are eligible for studies at university-level in your home country, then you should not encounter any problems at LBTU. Send your existing education documents  to LBTU ( and ask for advice.
You can find the admission requirements for each study program here ( by clicking on the programme of interest.

What is the English level required to study at LBTU?
It depends on the chosen study programme. Click on a study programme and check the admission requirements!

As a Full Time student, where can I find the complete application requirements?
Find more information here:

What is Registration week and should I attend it?
The registration for studies, signing of various documents takes place during this week and you can also get acquainted with the surroundings, other students etc. It’s not compulsory to participate in the activities, but they are organised to help the students to get settled and familiarize themselves with the University. A detailed information/program about the Registration Week activities will be prepared and sent to you via e-mail before the start of the studies.

 Practical matters

What are the first steps I should take after arrival?
You should get settled into the student dorms and relax, but do not forget to let your friends and family know that you are safe and sound. Once you have done this, you should go to your coordinator. Regardless whether you are an exchange  or full-time student you can find your coordinator from Monday to Friday in the Jelgava palace ( (address: Lielā Street 2), in room 192.

Will there be Wi-Fi available?
Yes, you will have Wi-Fi access all across the University campus. Firstly, you will have to sign an agreement with the University about the use of Wi-Fi, and then you will be given an access code which you will be able to use on all of your devices.

Where can I get medical assistance?
There are several medical institutions in Jelgava where you can receive medical services:
 - Jelgava Hospital (address: Brīvības bulvāris 6, web:,
 - Zemgale Health Centre (Address: Zemgales prospekts 15; web:,
 - Jelgava Health Centre (address: Sudrabu Edžus iela 10; web:

To receive treatment, you need to book an appointment with a doctor. Call to the medical institution and ask for the available times – ask your local buddy or the International Cooperation Centre for help if needed. In case of an emergency dial 112 or 113 (ambulance).

Do I need health insurance?
Health insurance is a must-have for international students. It's crucial to possess an internationally recognized policy, which is also attainable in Latvia through the International Cooperation Centre. Latvian Universities in partnership with a brokerage agency, has introduced a new health insurance option for international students. The policy, available at, covers both insurance for the Temporary Residence Permit (TUA) process and comprehensive health insurance post-TUA card acquisition. To purchase, provide necessary details, select the start date, and complete payment. The 400-day validity of the entry insurance mitigates the need for additional coverage due to date inaccuracies. Upon obtaining a residence permit and Latvian ID, personal health insurance can be acquired, allowing for certain cost reductions by excluding specific services. Plans for enhanced coverage and lower prices are in place for proactive students. Here's to a productive academic year and your well-being!

What is the cost of living?

  1. Food: Expect to spend around 200 EUR per month on food, covering groceries, dining out, and snacks.
  2. Transportation: Jelgava's public transport is affordable with a 30 EUR monthly pass; biking and walking are also convenient options.
  3. Utilities: Monthly utility costs, including electricity, gas, and water, are typically around 10 EUR.
  4. Entertainment: While there are cost-effective options, budget around 50 EUR per week if you plan to visit bars or restaurants.
  5. Other Expenses: Miscellaneous items like phone bills, personal care, and clothing average around 100 EUR per month.
  6. Total Cost of Living: Considering 124 EUR for accommodation, a student can expect to spend approximately 514 EUR per month on living expenses.

Do I need an adapter for the  wall socket?
The two pin plug (C/F plug type, 220 volts AC, 50 Hz) is used in Latvia.


When issued a visa, for how long can I reside in the Schengen Zone?
According to the type of visa issued by the certain embassy/consulate of any Schengen country there are different restrictions that apply to the particular visa in accordance to the nature of travelling and other relevant circumstances. However, the most common type of visa issued to the travellers can reach the maximum of 90 days in every six month period starting from the date of entry.

If I`m an EU/EEA citizen – do I need to register my stay in Latvia?
Yes, according to legislation of Republic of Latvia, if the duration of your stay exceeds 90 days within a 6 months period you must register in the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA) and receive a Registration Card.

Do I can go to other EU countries if I’m not a citizen of any EU country?
A Schengen visa obtained by any of the Schengen Area membr countries allows free movement to its holder within the whole Schengen Zone regarding the European Union Schengen members as well as the EFTA Schengen members, up to its validity and timeframe.
More information you can acquire here:

 Questions about the LBTU dormitory

Where can I stay during my studies at LBTU?
LBTU offers comfortable accommodation possibilities in the city centre. All university facilities are reachable on foot or by bicycle and will take only up to 15 minutes. Here you can find more information about the living conditions:

How do I get a place in the dormitory?
If you are or will be registered as an exchange or full time student at LBTU (have submitted all required application documents), we will arrange a dormitory accommodation for you. For all incoming students a standard place (bed in a shared room (2 persons per room) is reserved. Depending on your needs, it’s possible to book a room just for yourself, but a double price will be adjusted.

Do I have to take my own bed sheets and towels?
No, there is no need to take your own bed sheets or towels with you as Dormitory No.8 ensures that you’ll have bed sheets and towels in your room.

Do I have to take some cutlery or pots and pans with me?

There is some available at the dormotry. Expect to visit a store to buy any missing essentials.
For your information the Dorm offers an electric iron as well - just ask the administration staff.