Skip to main content

Practical matters

students playing a game

After arrival
Please, come to the International Cooperation Centre (Jelgava palace (, room 192) to gain access to the university information system and Wi-Fi. Let your relatives and friends know that you have reached the destination safe and sound.

Registration week
The registration for studies, signing of various documents takes place during this week and you can also get acquainted with the surroundings, other students etc. It’s not compulsory to participate in the activities, but they are organised to help the students to get settled and familiarize themselves with the University. A detailed information/program about the Registration Week activities will be prepared and sent to you via e-mail before the start of the studies.

Immigration procedures after arrival and extension of RP
All international students, who enter and reside in the Republic of Latvia for longer than 90 days (three months) counting from the date of entry,must settle the relevant immigration procedures.

Citizens of EU/EEA member States do not need a visa to enter Latvia but after arrival must visit the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs and apply for the registration card (ID card) (

Citizens of all other countries must settle the relevant immigration procedures before traveling to Latvia. After arrival you need to apply for a residence permit card or receive it at OCMA. To receive a residence permit card you will need to present X-Ray results, health insurance policy (internationally recognised and valid for the whole period of stay or bought in Latvia) and passport. The RP card will allow you to stay in Latvia for one year, however if you wish to stay for longer you will need to re-apply.

After receiving your registration card (ID card) or RP card, declare your place of residence in Latvia! You can do it while receiving an ID or RP card.


  • Inform the International Cooperation Centre if you change your declared living place (address) in Latvia or your passport!

  • For citizens of non-EU/EEA countries! Remember, that the RP is normally granted for one year (the period can also be shorter) and that you will need to extend your RP if you wish to remain in the country. At least 45 (max 90 days)  before expiration of your RP contact the staff of International Cooperation Centre to get a new invitation and ask for documents that need to be submitted.

Opening a bank account
Now, after receiving your registration certificate (ID card) or RP card you are a resident of Latvia and it is much easier for you to open a bank account. Take your passport and your new ID document with you and go to a bank of your choice. The most popular banks in Latvia are Swedbank, SEB banka, Citadele, DNB and Nordea.

The calling country code for Latvia is (00371) + telephone number. The best option for making and receiving mobile telephone calls and messages is to buy a pre-paid SIM and recharge it later. There are 3 mobile telephone network operators in Latvia:  Bite, LMT, Tele2 and you do not need to present any documents to purchase a prepaid SIM-card.

In case of an emergency you should call: 112. This is the contact number for the emergency services and can be used to contact police, fire brigade, ambulance and gas emergency services.

On the other hand, call 1188 to get information about public transport options and schedules, addresses and working hours of shops and services as well as different events etc. This is a paid service and you will be charged per minute.

Postal services
Latvijas Pasts is a state-owned company, that provides postal (letters, postcards, parcels, packets etc.), financial (payments, cash transfers etc.) and other services.
In Jelgava the main post office is on 2b Katolu street. It is open 08:00-19:00 Monday to Friday and 09:00-13:00 on Saturdays.
If you expect to receive an important letter during your stay at the university, use the following address:
Your name
International Cooperation Centre
Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies
2 Lielā Street, Jelgava, LV-3001
Please, inform the International Cooperation Centre about any upcoming dispatches.

Student Card
All international students are required to obtain the international student identity card (ISIC). This card is very useful during your stay in Latvia and can provide you with various discounts in theatres, cinemas, etc. The card also gives a discount when a student travels by bus or train within the country and towns. The card is also necessary for accessing the university library and the sports centre. To get the ISIC card, the student must fill in an application form after arriving in Latvia. For more information concerning obtaining the card, contact the International Cooperation Centre. More information about ISIC:

Student life
Stay socially integrated and enjoy your student life!

Medical assistance
There are several medical institutions in Jelgava where you can receive medical services:

- Jelgava Health Centre (address: Sudrabu Edžus iela 10; web:; (Webpage is aviable only in Latvian use a translatrr to sign up)

If signing up on the home page doesn't work try calling: Doctors assistant: +37163084511: Doctor Artūrs Fedorovičs-Rubenis: +37127815612

- Private practise (address: Lielā Street 3A , 3. stāvs ;web: Phone: +37163049725

For Emergencies only:
- Jelgava Hospital (address: Brīvības bulvāris 6, web:
To receive treatment, you need to have an appointment with a doctor. Call the medical institution and ask for the available time – ask your local buddy or International Cooperation Centre for help if needed. In case of an emergency dial 112 or 113 (ambulance).

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a joint document for all European Union, European Economic Area countries and Switzerland Confederation that confirms the rights of citizens to receive state-funded emergency and any necessary healthcare services to the same extent that it is available to the residents of the country.
The EHIC ensures that the necessary and urgent medical care is given to the same extent as is provided to the country's residents, where patient is receiving a medical help.This medical help will be provided by the hospitals and doctors who provide state-guaranteed health care services.
Find more information about EHIC in Latvia, the services provided etc. here:

Health insurance - Be sure that you have obtained an internationally recognized health insurance policy. It is possible to acquire one in Latvia as well. Contact the International Cooperation Centre for more information.