Academic study programme - Sociology of Organizations and Public Administration
If you look for a multidisciplinary understanding about management and performance of organizations and people in public, private and nongovernmental sectors sociology is the right subject to study. You will acquire knowledge and skills on researching contemporary processes in social life, public policies, and organizations, which allow you to develop your future career in many professional domains.
Degree: Bachelor Degree of Social Sciences in Sociology
Credits: 180 ECTS
Duration of studies: full-time – 3 years
Language of instruction: English
Tuition fee per year: 2500 EUR
Admission: twice a year (September, February), firstname.lastname@example.org
Program director: Dr.soc. Ginta Kronberga, email@example.com
Accredited until: December 31, 2024
Our study program “Sociology of Organizations and Public Administration” offer you an interactive study process with dynamic and experienced academic staff, opportunities for e-learning, and organized weeks of guest lectures, field trips, and discussions. We ensure a student-centered approach to the study process and focus specifically on your needs and interests in each study course to provide knowledge and skills on the contemporary social world.
Our graduates are specialists having successful careers in a number of professional areas including research, teaching, politics, public administration, municipalities, social and health services, the media, personnel management, NGOs, and trade unions. Bachelor’s degree entitles graduates to continue studies in a respective Master’s study program at universities in Latvia or abroad.
This program aims to educate highly qualified specialists providing students with the knowledge and skills on how to analyze the performance of organizations and institutions in public, private, and non-governmental sectors, and how to develop reasonable and sound proposals in order to address problems in the sphere of organizations and public administration.
The program covers 3 academic years.
The study courses of the 1st year provide general knowledge and skills in Sociological Theory, Research, Management, Philosophy, Social Problems, Community Development, and the Sociology of Groups and Organizations.
The 2nd year courses focus more specifically on Research Methodologies and Techniques, Regional Development, Rural Sociology, Social Statistics, and Social Psychology.
In the 3rd year, students are offered a number of elective courses including Demography, Social Entrepreneurship, Sociology of Work, Sociology of Family, Social Work, Project Management, Management of Stress and Time, Sociology of Economics, Environmental Sociology, Media Literacy and Platform Society.
Our graduates have conceptual knowledge and understanding about:
- various concepts of sociology, as well as is familiar with the classical and modern theories of sociology of organization and public administration;
- of the organization of sociological research in the study of current processes in society and organizations;
- of the nature of empirical research, sociological research data processing and analysis methods
Our graduates are able:
- to think logically, critically and creatively, conceptually use his / her theoretical knowledge in sociology;
- to creatively and independently develop the theoretical and methodological framework of sociological research, conduct empirical research and critically analyze and synthesize theoretical findings and research results.
- to integrate the acquired theoretical knowledge and conduct empirical research in accordance with the principles of sociological research methods and professional ethics;
- to assess the potential impact of research results on the research organization (or society as a whole)
In every subject course, student performance is measured according to the 10-point assessment scale. During the studies, bachelor students demonstrate their knowledge and skills by completing independent tasks and group works such as essays, discussions, short reports, case studies, data collection and analysis, and presentations. Each subject course ends with an examination or a formal test with a grade. Integrated knowledge, skills and competence is tested during the Bachelor’s thesis.
Applicants with completed secondary education are approved for admission to the programme. Applicants must be able to present good English knowledge (minimum - CEFR level B2, IELTS score 5.5, TOEFL score 520, TOEFL-iBT score 68) and need to pass an online aptitude test in social sciences.
Programme director - Ginta Kronberga says:
"If you want to understand the contemporary social world around us and research it - sociology is for you!"