Academic study programme - Computer Control and Computer Science
It is impossible to imagine our life without information technologies: smartphones, laptops, web systems, software products, robotic solutions are used almost by everyone. If You do not want to be only a simple user, but be a person who understands in details how this IT stuff works and how it is developed, come and join us!
Degree: Bachelor Degree of Engineering in Computer Control and Computer Science
Credits: 240 ECTS
Duration of studies: 4 years (full-time)
Language of instruction: English
Tuition fee per year: 2500 Eur
Admission: once a year in September, email@example.com
Contact person: Dr.sc.ing. Aleksejs Zacepins, firstname.lastname@example.org
Accredited until: December 20, 2029
You will learn how to use the right software tools and methods for solving information technology problems, learn programming languages, analyze the use of information technology industry issues in economy, business, production, public administration and other spheres of life. During studies, it is possible to obtain Microsoft, Cisco and ECDL certificates, which expand opportunities in the labor market.
Graduates have almost unlimited career opportunities. They may work as information technology professionals (programmers, system analysts, computer network administrators, etc.) in information and communication technology industry companies both in Latvia and abroad, as well as in any state and private enterprises for doing ICT services work (banks, state and local authorities, educational institutions, etc.). Graduates have also the opportunity to further pursue their research careers in computer science and continue studies in the Master’s study programme according to the programme requirements.
Aim of the programme
Provide academic education in the field of Computer Science, as well as fundamentals of professional and research information technology thus meeting the growing demand for specialists in this field.
Study Structure and Plan
1. Year: At the beginning of the studies, several general information technology and computer science study courses are included, like Data base technologies, Basics of programming, Computer graphics, Operating systems, Computer control tasks in production and others.
2. Year: In the continuation of studies, the program includes Mathematics and Physics study courses to develop logical thinking and problem solving methods, as well as computer management courses will continue. In the second year of study, you will learn computer networks, system modeling, WWW technologies and other IT related courses.
3. Year: Studying of theoretical courses will continue with an emphasis on practical work and application of theory in solving computer control tasks. Such study courses as Intelligent systems development platforms, Electrical engineering and electronics will allow you to develop management solutions by yourself. An important part of the third year of study is practice in IT companies, which is 12 weeks long.
4. Year: In the last year, you will learn various specialized computer science courses, including such courses as Interfaces of measurement systems, Basics of machine learning, Geographic information systems and others. At the end of your studies, you will develop and defend a bachelor's thesis on the selected IT topic.
- Students have knowledge and understanding of the major aspects and concepts of computer science, including the most important and state-of-the-art technologies;
- Students get an understanding of the wider range of information technology disciplines and information technology issues affecting the sector as well as the latest trends;
- Students get an understanding of the information system life cycle and the tasks of its phases;
- Students are able to apply creative and innovative approaches and/or solve problem situations in computer control tasks;
- Students acquire basic skills in scientific research work;
The assessment of professional skills – will be measured in independent and practical works in each course. Knowledge is assessed by grades taken from tests and individual works. The assessment of integrated knowledge, skills, and competencies will be tested with the resulting Bachelor thesis.
Applicants with completed secondary education are approved for admission to the programme, namely, applicants need to be eligible for university studies in their own country. Applicants must have at least a "satisfactory" grade in Mathematics, must be able to present good English knowledge (minimum - CEFR level B2, IELTS score 5.5, TOEFL score 520, TOEFL-iBT score 68 ), and need to pass an online entrance test in computer sciences.
Programme Director Aleksejs Zacepins says:
"ICT is growing rapidly both in the world and in Latvia. The demand for employees in the ICT sector is significantly higher than the supply, and the competition of employers also takes place at the international level thanks to the technologies for providing remote work. Computer Control and Computer Science studies will allow you to take your place in the IT industry."